Monday, December 11, 2006

Mariah's English assignment

I had nothing interesting to blog about tonight, so I chose to use Mariah's English assignment as a quiz of everyone's knowledge. Figure out which common phrase corresponds to each of these:


1. Surveillance should precede saltation.

2. Freedom from encrustation of grime is contiguous to divinity.

3. The stylus is more potent than the claymore.

4. Eschew the implement of correction and vitiate the scion.

5. All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.

6. A revolving lathic conglomerate accumulates no diminutive glaucous saprophytic plants.

7. Missiles of ligneous or petrous consistency have the potential of fracturing my osseous structure but appellations will eternally be benign.

8. Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity.

9. Exclusive dedication to necessary chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders John a hebephrenic fellow.

10. Individuals who make their abode in vitreous edifices would be advised to refrain from catapulting petrous projectiles. [Hint: Chuck Norris does both]

11. Neophyte's serendipity.

12. Members of the avian species of identical plumage congregate.

13. It is fruitless to become lachrymose over precipitately decanted lacteal fluid.

14. Scintillate scintillate astral minific.

6 comments:

uncle tim said...

I decided I'd give this a shot without cheating...no thesaurus, google, etc. How'd I do?

1. Taste before you salt.
2. Cleanliness is Godliness
3. The pen is mightier than the sword.
4.
5. Don't believe everything you read.
6.
7. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
8.
9.
10. Those who live in a glass house shouldn't cast stones.
11.Puppy love.
12. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree?
13. Don't cry over spilled milk.
14. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (this one was tough for me!)

The one and only Jillian Nicole said...

1. Look before you leap.
2. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
3. The pen is mightier than the sword.
4. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
5. All that sparkles is not gold.
6. A rolling stone gathers no moss.
7. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
8. Beauty is only skin deep.
9. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
10. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
11. Beginner's luck.
12. Birds of a feather flock together.
13. Don't cry over spilled milk.
14. Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

And that, my friend, is why they call me The Big Deal. ;)

Greg said...

This was fun. But is the assignment turned in, or did we just do her homework for her?


1. Look before you leap
2.
3. The pen is mightier than the sword
4.
5. All that glitters is not gold.
6. A rolling stone gathers no moss
7. Sticks and stone will break my bones but words will never hurt me.
8. Beauty is only skin deep.
9. All work and no play makes John a dull boy.
10. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
11.
12. Birds of a feather flock together.
13. Don't cry over spilled milk.
14.

A. Bauer said...

Tim was 6/10....but he wins the award for most creative response (#1)

Greg was 10/10 on his answers

Jill apparently is truly The Big Deal....14/14....nice....

uncle tim said...

c'mon! My mom used to say that all the time! Oh well...I have a simplistic mind after all.

Janet said...

Okay, so I just e-mailed this to Beth. She got all of them. Her words... "Good thing I have a big vocabulary, man. Some of these were tricky!"