Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Character

It was early this morning when I realized I would be having a bad day. Mariah's prom was tonight, and I was still struggling with a certain aspect of it when I left New Richland and randomly decided to stop in Mankato. I spent nearly nothing while I was there, which made me feel a little better because I'm broke.

The biggest pick-me-up of the morning was breakfast. Shayla had gone in to work an hour early, so she called and asked if I wanted to have breakfast with her. Of course, I accepted. Our waiter was having some issues, and we didn't like him much. After a quick stop at Scheel's and B&N, I went home.

I didn't want to go home. I knew I would be bored and frustrated, which turned out to be true. So, I decided to sleep for three hours before my academic banquet. Banquets are lame, and tonight's was no exception. The awkward moments during some of the award presentations were only partially entertaining, but Mark's was hilarious. Then, when it came to the scholarship I had won, I was able to feel a little better again. It wasn't because I won the scholarship but because of what the scholarship meant. It was a scholarship awarded on character instead of achievement. Personally, I would rather be awarded any day on my character as opposed to my achievements. Why would I want congratulations from someone for doing well when it was my character that led me to succeed in the first place?

Now I'm bored and frustrated again. It's because of the same prom issue. I wish I could talk to someone about it, but I know she'd kill me for it.

0 comments: