Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Music makes the people come together

As I watched the casting special for the new competition "StarTomorrow" today on NBC, I noticed the judge, David Foster, was picking his own personal likes and dislikes about music while listening to each competitor. With that, I started to think about a few of the things I love to hear when I'm listening to music.

1. Important, or powerful, lyrics being repeated later on in the album
-- I like this because it's just a cool way to get a message through. It can also be used to add a little flair to other songs.
Ex: Lyrics from a few different songs are repeated in "A" on Cartel's Chroma album

2. Album follows a storyline
-- This is always interesting to me because I think it's fun to kind of fit the storyline of the album into the day you had, or even your life so far. It also makes use of transitions between songs, which doesn't happen enough.
Ex: Chroma - Cartel

3. No chorus in the song
-- I'm not sure why I like this, but I think it sounds cool and makes the song a little more interesting.
Ex: "Folsom Prison Blues" - Johnny Cash

4. Random lyrics that don't fit the rest of the song
-- Again, I have no clue why I like this. It just makes for an interesting discussion and sometimes even a good laugh.
Ex: "Buckets for Bulletwounds" - House of Heroes

5. Background lyrics are amusing and fit song
-- Pretty much the same reason as above.
Ex: "A Million Ways" - Ok Go

6. Depressing tone with positive lyrics
-- I just think songs like this help show that there's a bright side to everything and that it's easy to make light of a situation.
Ex: "Ok" - MuteMath

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more that I haven't discovered yet.

Word from the Frontline: Number of musicians I can say I really liked today on StarTomorrow -- 2, one of them was Jeff Coffee, and the other was a band with a name that I forgot

0 comments: