Monday, June 19, 2006

Good story

A friend of mine from Iowa told me an interesting story tonight. It came from a visitor of a church. This visitor was very good friends with the preacher, and he told this story:

"A father, his son, and the son's friend were all out fishing one day. All of a sudden, a horrible storm came in and turned the boat. The father swam through the waves back to the boat, flipped it over, and began to search for the two boys. They were very close together, but the harsh waves seperated them. The son was yelling out, "Help, Daddy. Help!" The son's friends was screaming, "Please hurry! Help!" The man found some rope, but knew he could only rescue one of the children. He finally pulled the child back into the boat. He said to the child, "I love you, son," as he held the son's friend in his arms. The man knew his son had been saved because he believed in God, so he rescued the son's friend who didn't. The father was me. The boy was your preacher."

I just thought this was an interesting story, and it's just very strange to understand how someone could give up their own child to save another. I know it must've helped knowing that his son knew God, but I still can't even comprehend how hard of a decision that would be.


But on that note:
Happy Father's Day, everyone!

2 comments:

The Giesenator said...

good one. i liked it. your poker skills amaze me.

Janet said...

That's a great story, I love it every time I hear it!