Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Mud Shark Champions

When I was first asked to play in tonight's mud volleyball tournament, I was very skeptical. I ended up going but not playing in it. I planned on just watching the games until I saw a quartet of guys walking up dressed in good ol' MAROON and GOLD. Spencer, Grant, Trent, and Logan had decided to be a team for this tournament. They became the Italian Stallions, and I became their unofficial manager.

They started out with a loss to an all-USC team called The Studs. It was pretty devastating, but this was a double-elimination tourney. They fought back through the brackets and became one of two teams with only one loss. The other was The "B" Team (or The "A" Team, I don't remember). The Studs had remained undefeated, so after another victory, the Stallions went on to the championship against The Studs. In order to win, the Stallions had to win two matches to give The Studs their two losses for elimination. After the first match, it was starting to get dark. We had to keep cleaning off the yellow volleyballs so the mud wasn't able to coat them and make them nearly invisible.

The Italian Stallions ended up winning the championship, and they were granted an awesome shark-shaped, wooden trophy with the words, "Mud Shark Champions". I, as their manager, did have to argue a few calls my brother made as line judge during the championship match, but I figured my Ron Gardenhire skills needed to be polished up anyway.

All in all, I'm glad I went to the tournament. It was awesome watching these folks sacrifice their cleanliness to win some very messy games. Everyone seemed to have a great time, and "Midnight" and "M Scribbles" made great mascots for the Italian Stallions.

El número del día: Number of times Trent flirted with girls over the phone -- at least 2. He's the mack daddy of phone flirting. Undoubtedly....

4 comments:

Janet said...

That sounds like fun! Why didn't you want to play Bauer?!?

A. Bauer said...

I just wasn't up for playing I guess. I would've hated trudging through the mud anyway....

Janet said...

Sad... But at least you're doing the Amazing Race!

Anonymous said...

hey bauer...yes i must say that tournament was really awesome lol.
i think you would have had more fun if u had gone on the slip n slide!!